Thursday, February 9, 2012

Florence and the Diaper Bag

As promised, I not only bring you sewing but a completed project as well. First thing I have completed since before Christmas. This past week or so I have been listening to the Ceremonials album by Florence and the Machine. Let me tell you the album is A-MAH-ZING and totally inspiring. So much so I went ahead and named my bag after it.

Way back in November I bartered for these darling crocheted animal hats for my kids from a friend, Niki, and in return I offered to make her a diaper bag. On a side note let me just tell you how awesome bartering is and I think we should do it way more often... trading your services/skills for someone elses, it just makes sense! Anyhow, my friend didn't find out what she was having until January. It was a girl (after having 4 boys how stoked was she!) and her request was a smallish pink and gray diaper bag that could hold diapers, wipes, clothes and a blanket. I have not felt much like creating lately and while making several purses last summer/fall for Oktoberfest I learned I much prefer making up my own pattern. Well as I mentioned above I have found great inspiration from the Florence and the Machine album, so, I give you the Florence Diaper Bag (tutorial to follow in the months to come):


The front has two pockets and each side has a bottle (or phone) sized pocket. I went ahead and used interfacing on both the outside and the lining (typically I only do the outside) so that way the bag was nice and sturdy and would hold it's shape with nothing in it. ( I like to say it has integrity and will stand up even when no ones watching it.. ha ha. lame joke I know)


On the inside I thought it might be nice if the pockets had some give so you could fit a few diapers or whatever in them. I made the pocket 3 inches larger than the lining piece and then used 1/4 inch elastic encased in the top and a gathering stitch on the bottom before I sewed the lining together.


I hope you like it... I am very happy with how it turned and will probably make one for myself once I find out the gender of number 4.

See ya next week!

Holly

5 comments:

  1. Things I love:
    1. fabric choice
    2. overall bag design
    3. gathered pockets
    4. big fat strap
    5. the fact that we will be bartering here in a few months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I say it again, nice job! Love the gathered pockets and the small profile- very sweet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering what type of interfacing you used? Great bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brigette and thanks! I use Pellon craft fuse 808. It is thin but has a nice stiffness to it. I use it for all my bags.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome bag - that's the kind of shape/style of a bag I want to create for myself. Though, I wouldn't need it for diapers - instead I'd use it as a laptop bag. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete